Skip to main content

Matter

As I patiently await some word back on Post, I figured I'd pass along some information about some forthcoming books covering some of the same topics and bands. In hopes this doesn't read like a sticker on a Victory CD ("If you like X, Y and Z, you'll love Q!"), let me just say these are books worth looking out for if Post's subject matter interests you.

Norman Brannon (ne, Arenas) is probably best known as the guitarist for Texas is the Reason. Well, the guy has been writing for a long time and did a zine called Anti-Matter back in Nineties. Covering bands like Quicksand, Sunny Day Real Estate, and Sick of It All, Anti-Matter was an influential voice in the zine world and the writing still holds up. Revelation will be releasing The Anti-Matter Anthology in November of this year and it looks really great. Aaron wrote the book's forward, so that in itself is a main reason for me to read it.

Fellow former Punk Planet writer Brian Peterson has spent the last four years working on his forthcoming collection, Burning Fight: The Nineties Hardcore Revolution in Ethics, Politics, Spirit and Sound. Compiled from interviews with 150 people (including Karl from Earth Crisis, Norm Brannon and Walter Schreifels) topics such as straight edge, animal rights, and spirituality are discussed. This is something that really dives into the topics I briefly touch on in Post. Well worth checking out when it hopefully comes out next year.

What I find very promising about the mere existence of these books is that I'm not a loner here. I've often wondered if anyone else was willing to take the time and cover this time period in music. So my hopes have not been dashed and my thunder has not been taken away. Far from it. As I've said all along, the more different perspectives on a similar thing, the better. So, here's to the better.

Comments

Ted said…
Peterson's book looks interesting to me because it seems to cover the political cultural aspect to 90s punk -- something I thought died with the first wave of punk in the 70s.

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J