Skip to main content

The names are all changed

Last week saw the announcement of another name change for the venue I've forever thought of as the Dallas equivalent of the Woodlands Pavilion. No longer called the Smirnoff Music Centre, it's now the Superpages.com Center. Yes, the ".com" is included, like the GalleryFurniture.com Bowl game.

Like fellow former Houston resident Kev (who blogged about this last week), I think of this place as a place I've rarely been to. As a matter of fact, the only time I've been there was when Merge 93.3 hosted a free comedy show. I've never been to an Edgefest or OZZfest and have no plans to see a concert there in the near future. So why bother mentioning this? Well, to be frank, Superpages.com Center doesn't sound like a music venue to me; it sounds more like a shopping center.

Besides, coupled with all the years I called the Texas Rangers' stadium the Ballpark in Arlington and then had to call it Ameriquest Field in Arlington and now it's something else, I'm not so sure this place will be called the Superpages.com Center for very long. How about the Old Starplex, much like how older Dallas residents refer to the section of I-30 west of downtown as the Old Turnpike? And though I haven't driven by it in a long time, I swear there's still a sign off of the 30 service road saying, "Starplex."

Now I'm wondering about what the new Cowboys stadium in Arlington will be called. It might have a name already, but it might be subject to change.

Comments

Kev said…
I have no idea what the new Cowboys stadium will eventually be called (I suppose it depends on what high-dollar sponsor Jerry Jones gets to give him another bazillion dollars for the honors), but everyone in local media seems to refer to it as "JerryWorld" at the moment. I wonder if it will stick...

I also remember when the Murchison Performing Arts Center at UNT was first opened. Heading south on North Texas Blvd. towards the structure, it looks pretty much like a giant armadillo, so a lot of locals were referring to it as the "Dillo Dome" (you had to be very careful how you enunciated that, needless to say). But the nickname disappeared soon afterwards, no doubt out of respect for the late former regent "Lupe" Murchison, for whom it was named. (And, to complete the circle, Lupe was a relative of the late original Cowboys owner, Clint Murchison.)
Rj said…
Well I am planning on going to superpages.com for Radiohead on 05-18, which was just announced.

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air...

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Ben Folds and Ben Folds Five

Originally posted on Tuesday, April 11th, 2006 : For some, Ben Folds Five was merely a one hit wonder. For others, the trio was a life-changer. Myself, I’m one of the latter. Being formally introduced with the “Battle of Who Could Care Less” video on 120 Minutes , I was very intrigued to know more about this piano-bass-drums combo. Once I heard Whatever and Ever Amen , I was hooked. As a matter of fact, out of all of my favorite bands, Ben Folds Five is one of the few that I liked right away and I have held the same kind of admiration ever since. Their three proper albums (and one b-sides collection) are staples in my record collection and they may very well be (or soon be) staples in your collection too. For a band that was once described as “punk rock for sissies,” you may realize how effortlessly these guys walked between fun, semi-goofy pop songs and some really deep and powerful stuff too. It helps that they had it right from the beginning and kept maturing. Ben Folds Five (1995) ...

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Elliott Smith

Originally posted June 20th, 2006 : With bio help by Sweet Adeline The music of Elliott Smith is too often overshadowed by his short life. Just like Nick Drake’s and Jeff Buckley’s lives and music, people tend to paint all of these supposed mopes into a corner of super-sad music. The deal is, there wasn’t just sadness in their songs and lives: there was beauty, happiness and hope too. The main comparison that I would make with these artists is the music they made is timeless because it was inspired by the timeless records they grew up on. Born Steven Paul Smith in 1969 in Omaha, Nebraska, Smith grew up with his mother in Duncanville, Texas (a town near Dallas), but spent most of his high school years living with his father in Portland, Oregon. Growing up on a standard diet of the Beatles, Bob Dylan, Hank Williams, Motown, KISS, punk rock and new wave, he started writing his own songs at a very young age. A gifted musician, he first learned piano, then clarinet, then guitar and went fro...