Skip to main content

Taking a break from all your worries

Once again, a look into my motivation to do things and the lack of motivation to do things.

In the last month or so, I've decided to take on a feat that seems big and momentous, but I'm up for the challenge. And that challenge is to watch all eleven seasons of Cheers. Watching all those episodes might take the rest of the year, but I don't mind. And I don't mind hearing "Where Everybody Knows Your Name" over and over again.

What prompted this desire came from the last show I had a tremendous drive to watch from start to finish: the re-imagined version of Battlestar Galactica. While watching the "Taking a Break From All Your Worries" episode with Ronald D. Moore's commentary on, he confirmed that the episode's title was indeed a nod to the Cheers theme song. Couple that with the fact that the entire series was on DVD, I figured why not.

I saw a few episodes of Cheers when it was originally on. But due to the fact that the lighting (yes, the set's lighting) was dark and the subject matter seemed very adult-like, I cannot remember which episodes I ever saw in the original run, and I cannot say I was a fan of the show. Well, thanks to whatever technology that made the episodes look better on DVD, I can now see Sam's eyes and the bar itself. And it helps that I'm older so I get more of the adult subject matter.

Contrast all this with trying to get into Strangers With Candy. Jason lent me the entire series on DVD, and despite rave reviews from people I trust, I just cannot get into this show. Getting through the first disc was difficult, and I'm not that compelled to finish watching the entire series. Too many one-off episodes with very little continuity can make me wonder why I'm watching something. Couple that with the fact that I didn't have the drive or tremendous curiosity to know how the show begins and ends.

So I guess that's a good way to say that when I'm completely driven to do something, I want to see it through to the end. But if I'm not, doubts and overthinking will just derail everything. Thus explains plenty of other things in my life that have nothing to do with watching TV shows on DVD.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J