Skip to main content

Flip the digital switch

I've mentioned before how I don't have cable television. I have plenty of reasons why I still don't have it since the switch from analog to digital signals, but I thought it was time for an update.

Basically, if I want to watch a Cowboys game this fall or a new episode of LOST next year from my couch, I'm screwed.

Rewinding a bit: back when I was talking with my new housemate, Matt, I asked if he wanted cable TV when he moved in. He declined, citing many of the same reasons that I haven't had cable since I moved to Dallas seven years ago. Since we both work in places that have several different televisions always on, there is a desire to not have the TVs at home. That's where the Internet, DVDs, and books come in handy.

So with the digital switch, and after a few channel scans, all we really get off the rabbit ears are the local CBS affiliate, a local station with ties to the CBS affiliate, and a few Spanish language stations. That's right: no Fox, NBC, or ABC affiliates for us cheapskates.

I enjoy watching Cowboys games, and any football game looks incredible in high-definition. I love watching new episodes of LOST, as well as an interest in other shows currently on the air. The deal is, I could go to a local bar, or even some of the local theaters around here to watch the Cowboys play. And based on my experience seeing the previous season of LOST at the Angelika, I have plenty of reasons to go back for the sixth season.

Knowing those things presents a bind. Actually, a real bind because it sure would be nice to have those signals for NBC and Fox come Sunday afternoon or if the Angelika decided to not to show LOST and not announce it to the general public. I don't want to impose on friends and family that have cable, so there's the question mark.

A few days ago, I took a call from my Internet provider, who also happens to offer cable TV. In a rare, rare feat, I did not hang up on the guy who called me. Usually, any form of telemarketing receives a hang-up from me. But the guy was trying to give me a good deal on cable TV service and willing to set up a time very soon to get this installed. Clearly the guy was reading from a long script written to pitch and not leave room for any questions from the customer. I politely told the guy I was not interested and he thankfully did not pressure me. And the call ended with "bye" on both ends of the phone.

Before I start to regret doing that, I'm reminded of the time I spent at my parents' house over the weekend. Tons of relatives were in town as well, and I got to have some great conversations with them. But the TV itself with cable was a nice thing to have when reading the book I'm reading made me sleepy. Plus, my parents don't have an extensive DVD collection, and there's only so much I can handle with watching full-screen versions of some of the Harry Potter films.

Now the pickle has been laid out on the table: do I give in or not give in? Now you see why I have a hard time making a lot of decisions when it comes to stuff I spend money on?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J