Skip to main content

". . . and came out clean on the other side"

In response to the new blog layout, my friend Richard asked, "It's April Fool's Day, right?"

Well, this isn't some joke or stunt. After five years of looking at dark blue with dark green, I figured it was time to look at something that was light green and blue.

Why the change in design? Frankly, I was inspired after I checked out Keith's (new-to-me) blog, Celluloid Highways. Something about it -- especially its clean layout and easy-to-navigate design -- just made me think of how I could make this blog a better read.

The change also represents a new leaf turning in my life.

I don't want to go into specifics just yet, but I have no problem speaking about this in metaphors. Some big things have changed in my life for the better while some thing that's been lingering for years must be worked on. When that happens, I'll write about it, but for now, I'm still plotting a break from a Shawshank prison that's been locking up a lot of my brain for way too long.

Apologies for the vagueness, but it's something I've mentioned before. Matter of fact, it was something I wrote a lot (also in rather vague terms) while I was in the middle of writing POST.

Again, I can't go into specifics here on the blog just yet, but understand this, there are things in my life that I've greatly hoped for and they're thankfully in my life now. Being with someone as warm, kind, and supportive as Diana and with playing in the Pull Tabs have helped me see life beyond next week and really towards much brighter things in the future.

So here's to happy (and clearer) days ahead.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air...

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Ben Folds and Ben Folds Five

Originally posted on Tuesday, April 11th, 2006 : For some, Ben Folds Five was merely a one hit wonder. For others, the trio was a life-changer. Myself, I’m one of the latter. Being formally introduced with the “Battle of Who Could Care Less” video on 120 Minutes , I was very intrigued to know more about this piano-bass-drums combo. Once I heard Whatever and Ever Amen , I was hooked. As a matter of fact, out of all of my favorite bands, Ben Folds Five is one of the few that I liked right away and I have held the same kind of admiration ever since. Their three proper albums (and one b-sides collection) are staples in my record collection and they may very well be (or soon be) staples in your collection too. For a band that was once described as “punk rock for sissies,” you may realize how effortlessly these guys walked between fun, semi-goofy pop songs and some really deep and powerful stuff too. It helps that they had it right from the beginning and kept maturing. Ben Folds Five (1995) ...

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Elliott Smith

Originally posted June 20th, 2006 : With bio help by Sweet Adeline The music of Elliott Smith is too often overshadowed by his short life. Just like Nick Drake’s and Jeff Buckley’s lives and music, people tend to paint all of these supposed mopes into a corner of super-sad music. The deal is, there wasn’t just sadness in their songs and lives: there was beauty, happiness and hope too. The main comparison that I would make with these artists is the music they made is timeless because it was inspired by the timeless records they grew up on. Born Steven Paul Smith in 1969 in Omaha, Nebraska, Smith grew up with his mother in Duncanville, Texas (a town near Dallas), but spent most of his high school years living with his father in Portland, Oregon. Growing up on a standard diet of the Beatles, Bob Dylan, Hank Williams, Motown, KISS, punk rock and new wave, he started writing his own songs at a very young age. A gifted musician, he first learned piano, then clarinet, then guitar and went fro...