Skip to main content

Date with IKEA

Yesterday, I finally went to the Epcot Center of home shopping, IKEA. Yes, the much-praised, extremely large place for all sorts of home things that's been in Frisco for years. Why did it take so long for me? I finally had a reason to go.

But years ago, I was afraid I would have to be dragged to this store, along with Bed, Bath and Beyond, all in the name of being in a relationship.

Thankfully, I was able to find those fears unfounded. I had no fear of going and actually had a great time.

As an early birthday gift, three friends of Diana's offered to buy her a few things from the store. I wanted to come along, first and foremost, and I had no problem with spending two hours walking around.

After looking around the top floor with all sorts of room set-ups, we grabbed a cart while perusing the bottom floor. As the four women in my company looked at what they could get for Diana's new apartment, I noticed quite a few men in my situation: pushing a cart slowly around.

Whether or not these guys were happy to be doing this, I could only speak for myself. I chose to be at the store and I chose to push that cart. And I chose to make suggestions as well. Never at any point did I feel lonely, bored, or whipped. I was happy to help out in any way that I could.

Too often, whenever I hear a guy talk about spending time with his woman doing traditionally feminine things, there's this sense that the guy didn't want to be there, but if he didn't want to be sitting at home all alone and sleeping alone all alone that night, he grins and bears it. Any desire the guy has to go do something he really wants to do is shot down. Because he doesn't want to be single or sleep alone that night, he hangs his head and says, "Yes, dear."

I am very happy to say I am not in that kind of situation.

In the case of our IKEA trip, Diana offered me dinner out at one of our favorite restaurants and we went to Half Price Books afterwords. Also keep in mind, she came with me to see the Dillinger Escape Plan, a band I never thought I would ever take a girlfriend to because of their sound, a couple of months ago. She loves to see me be passionate about doing things like writing, reading, watching bands play, and playing drums. In turn, I love seeing her be passionate about art, metal-smithing, reading, and writing. This is definitely a two-way street kind of relationship.

The more I choose to take a more positive attitude about life and enjoy being in this committed relationship, the more I understand something Charles Schulz once said: "happy isn't funny." I like to make cracks about sad, unfair things in life, and things are easier to describe when there's a lot of drama, tragedy, and unhappiness. But I think it sure is nice to experience something that isn't a soap opera or something out of a beer commercial. That kind of stuff might sell to other people, but not for me.

Comments

Richard of DM said…
IKEAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!!!!

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air...

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Ben Folds and Ben Folds Five

Originally posted on Tuesday, April 11th, 2006 : For some, Ben Folds Five was merely a one hit wonder. For others, the trio was a life-changer. Myself, I’m one of the latter. Being formally introduced with the “Battle of Who Could Care Less” video on 120 Minutes , I was very intrigued to know more about this piano-bass-drums combo. Once I heard Whatever and Ever Amen , I was hooked. As a matter of fact, out of all of my favorite bands, Ben Folds Five is one of the few that I liked right away and I have held the same kind of admiration ever since. Their three proper albums (and one b-sides collection) are staples in my record collection and they may very well be (or soon be) staples in your collection too. For a band that was once described as “punk rock for sissies,” you may realize how effortlessly these guys walked between fun, semi-goofy pop songs and some really deep and powerful stuff too. It helps that they had it right from the beginning and kept maturing. Ben Folds Five (1995) ...

Politics Shmolitics

Yesterday, the more pleas I saw for people to go out and vote, the more uncomfortable I felt. Plenty of the blogs I hit up everyday said something along the lines of "Vote and if you don't, don't complain." Folks, this is why I find discussing politics so alienating. There are plenty of reasons why I don't discuss politics on here or in my everyday conversations. The biggest reason is because I don't have a lot of interest in politics in the first place. By what I've seen, heard and read for the last eight years, political debates are usually pissing contests. Judging by the views I've processed, it would be easy to think that we're all slowly going downhill either on the left, right or down the middle. Yet I don't think we're going totally downhill or totally uphill. Debating the direction we're going seems futile, especially when adults start screaming at each other like they're in grade school. To my ears, political debates are s...