Skip to main content

Turn Off the Dark

Amidst the weekly coverage about Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark and its problems, I've tried to keep things at an arm's length. But when my parents got to see a preview over the weekend, I felt compelled to read this thorough article in the New York Times on the play's troubled production.

I have yet to hear from my parents on what they thought of the show, but I already wonder what constitutes a great adaptation of a comic book into another medium, be it a movie or a musical.

Whether or not the Geek Chorus (yes, you heard that right) and Arachne will be in the final version of the play since director Julie Taymor has left the project, I'm curious what kind of appeal this play is going for. Given how much money has been spent so far, it's definitely for a very broad audience, but I wonder how broad it is meant to be.

These days, its appeal is on the same level as watching a certain portion of a highway that is often the sight of bad car wrecks. This plays right into our constant fascination with life going haywire, somehow putting our life's hang-ups into perspective.

I think about my parents and what could appeal to them with a play like this. I believe they know the basics of Peter Parker's superhero story. Yet ask them about Dr. Curt Connors or even Gwen Stacy and they'd probably ask you to say those names again.

In my case, my knowledge is based mainly on the various Spider-Man cartoons I watched as a child along with the three Sam Raimi movies. I know about some of the major plotlines from the comics, like the one where Peter gives up his masked life. Yet trying to tell you the Vulture's origin story off the top of my head, I got nothing.

But I wonder, am I, along with my parents, supposed to feel together in (hopefully) enjoying something with nods to Greek tragedy? What's supposed to breathe new life into something while also being faithful to its source material?

I'm all too aware of geek culture's whines about previous adaptations of comics. I can't believe how much nipples on the Batman suit still infuriates people. Really? Mere inches on a costume is a big reason why people want to castrate the director, writers, and producers of Batman & Robin? Will the same happen for those who are involved (even in the smallest capacity) with Turn Off the Dark?

In the end, I hope people get their money's worth and this isn't thought of in the same arena as that Bob Dylan play.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J