Skip to main content

Sooner or Later

This year, I will attend four weddings, and hopefully no funerals. These four weddings involve people I have known for at least eight years, and all of the grooms are people who seemed the least likeliest to get married. Not a fear of love or relationships in general, just a fear of the institution that is marriage. Save us from the ball and chain, indeed.

None of these guys are rushing into marriage. Each one has been with their respective partners for at least two years. And thankfully for me as the friend, I like all of their future wives. So, no end of the friendship because of choosing a polarizing spouse.

I'm sure at some point in the past they've said, "I'm never getting married." I will not confirm or deny that I've said the same, but it's not like people lie when they say that. When they see a lot of dysfunctional relationships over the years, of course that leaves a negative impression. The thinking usually is, Why should I be miserable with someone when I can miserable by myself?

My attitude is, we all want to love and be love. The harder you fight that, the harder life is. A bottle of Jameson isn't going fulfill the void left by a lost love. That bottle could certainly pass the time, but sitting at home pouting isn't going help either.

So I look forward to celebrating my friends' nuptials. I won't lie that I love to cut a rug on the dance floor. And I choose to leave my options open if the possibility presents itself in the future. Better to live life with unlocked doors that doors that are sealed shut.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J