Skip to main content

I'M BUSY

Tim Kreider's editorial on "The 'Busy' Trap" continues to be on my mind, weeks after it appeared online. It's popped up in a couple of conversations I've had recently, and it's made me think about how we juggle our workload and free time, if we have any.

I know people who work 60 hours a week and rarely have time to chit-chat beyond a quick e-mail or text message. I also know people work up to 80 hours a week and still have time for bikeriding and kickball. Seems like approaching someone, even a friend or family member, requires some number-crunching these days. You don't want to drag your friends down with long conversations when they're in the middle of something that has to be done quickly, but isn't it nice to just say, "How are you doing?"

In the past few months, I've chosen to do this tactic: send a friend a text message saying, "When you get the chance, would you mind calling me?" Usually I get a call back or an e-mail back, but there are times that text messages fall into a cyber black hole. So whenever I have a chance to hang out with a friend who has a lot of plates spinning, I make the most out of the time we have together.

Recently, a friend of mine from New York was in town. We hung out all afternoon and even talked about Kreider's editorial. Since my friend is a freelance writer and podcast participant, I have no clue as to how busy he is or when he's busy. Being a freelancer is especially a floating thing because you don't really have set hours. I've thought, When is a good time to call him and ask how he's been?

At the wedding I MC'd, a friend I had not seen in a year suggested we talk more on the phone. We used to talk quite a bit, but when life gets busy with doing other things, setting up a casual conversation is like making dinner plans. They have to be in advance and be at an appropriate time.

I'm guilty of the busy trap as well. So much of my post-layoff life has been hurry up and wait. Lots of things come together, but then there's a lot of down time. Last night, I received a call from a friend asking me when I could give him some pointers on social media. Since I have plans for Wednesday, I suggested he call me on Thursday morning so we could set up a time later in the day to talk. As crazy as that trail sounds, it's more of a matter with finding the right time to give someone else your undivided attention.

Being busy is a good thing, yet I think it's important to not stick your head in the water for too long. We're all busy to some degree. Carving out some time isn't too much to ask, is it?

Comments

Ted said…
It's not difficult to carve out time...It seems that people get stuck in their routines (and get pulled into this or that situation to put out small fires) and find that they just can't bring themselves to step outside that "busy zone." Glad to hear that you're not falling into that trap.

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J