Skip to main content

Do It Anyway

This past weekend was a long one -- longer than most weekends for me -- but I had fun. On Saturday, I reviewed the first Texas edition of Riot Fest for not only DC9, but also the Houston Press's blog, Rocks Off. My DC9 review is a little different than my review for Rocks Off because I wanted to give the perspective from a local and an out-of-towner, respectively.

Of course, it was hot, and I found Rise Against's set to be a long and painful way to end the evening, but I enjoyed the day. I certainly enjoyed the Gatorade when I got home.

Last night, I had the privilege of seeing Ben Folds Five and taking photos during the first three songs. My review is a basic rundown of the show, but I'd like to share some more that obviously didn't fit in the review.

When I walked up to the stage as the band came on, a rush of feelings came over me. I still remembered what it was like to drive around Kingwood in 1997 listening to my dubbed cassette copy of Whatever and Ever Amen in my '77 Pontiac Catalina. Now here I was in front and center, and the band kicked off with "Missing the War." I figured this was going to be only time I'd be this close to the band, so make the most of it. I snapped away, smiled from ear to ear, and sang along. Ben even noticed me and smiled.



After "Jackson Cannery" finished, I went to the back of the floor level and stood in front of the mixing console. I could see the band pretty well, and I enjoyed the rest of the set.

As the show let out around 11, I faced the frustrating reality that is getting out of the Gilley's complex parking lot. It's always a beating, so I tried to make a phone call to my friend Trevor Kelley, hoping to thank him again for that Ben Folds Five reunion concert a few years ago. (He helped bring together that special show for MySpace where the band performed The Unauthorized Biography of Reinhold Messner in its entirety) When I got the "Your call has been forwarded to an automatic voice messaging service" message, I sighed and thought I'd wait out the traffic jam.

Striking up a conversation with a few guys and a girl in the parking lot, the talk led to interests in writing and music. Turns out, the girl has been a writer for a few years and her friend is into photography. Thinking I could talk to these fine folks for a few hours, Bryce Avary (aka, the Rocket Summer) walks by and hangs out with us. Sure was a pleasure to finally meet him after seeing him at shows over the years (and he remembered our interview back in June).

Seeing a small crowd near the tour bus, I suggested we see if the band was signing autographs or taking pictures. Well, this happened.


Never during all my years listening to Ben Folds' music would I ever think this could happen. This was truly one of the best concert experiences that I've had. Not only did I get to see Ben earlier in the year with the Fort Worth Symphony Orchestra, I got to see this.

I might not exactly know where my life is going in terms of job situation, but I was thrilled to let go and truly live in the moment. Glad I took pictures.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J