Skip to main content

All I wanted was to be a mariachi

I wanted to finish Robert Rodriguez's Rebel Without a Crew before I shared these thoughts. Now that I'm done with it, let the floodgates open.

Even after all these years since El Mariachi debuted theatrically in 1993, I find Rodriguez's story still inspiring. I don't often come across people that driven to do something. And I don't mean people who are ambitious in becoming famous. I mean people who have a desire to do something with low overhead and levelheaded ambitions. I mean, El Mariachi was originally made for the Spanish home movie market in hopes that Rodriguez could gradually move onto bigger-budgeted films down the line. Fate changed that, as plenty of people know, but Rodriguez has never forgotten his Mariachi way of doing things. That's a great reminder to those who are struggling to make something; whether it's a film, book, or record.

I still don't have any ambitions to make a film, but I like hearing stories about how drive and naivety make for a worthwhile learning experience. This desire was what led Kevin Smith to make Clerks, David Lynch to make Eraserhead, and so on. Other people can make light of how these low/no-budget directors who made great films inspired legions of wannabe directors to make crappy films, but there's something beyond all of that to me.

I'm all too aware of people who have desires to do something beyond the normal routine, but get sidetracked for whatever understandable reasons they have. Motivation, or a lack of motivation, prevents plenty from making an idea into a tangible thing. Believe you me, if I knew all the hoops I'd have to go through to get Post made before I wrote it, I'd reconsider writing the darn thing. But still, no matter how crappy things would get from time to time, I never wanted to give up. I guess that's the key: if you really want to do something, don't give up because there might be some roadblocks.

Reading Rodriguez's book about how he made El Mariachi with only $7,000 and no crew rung true for me even I kind of knew his story already. He simply took into consideration what he had available to him and made what he could. That's Do-It-Yourself 101 right there. But why more people don't do what he did goes all back to a motivation to do things and finish them. I'm still amazed when I meet people or read about people who have this attitude. So many people just want to complain and settle for a crappy look at life. I struggle, for sure. But I think there's always room to improve your life. Being creative is probably the best way for me and plenty of others. From time to time, it's nice to have a reminder of that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J