Skip to main content

To all the songs I've massacred

Last Friday I met up with Todd for a night of karaoke. I had not done karaoke in at least a year; I think the last time I did it was a rather melodramatic version of Bonnie Tyler's melodramatic song, "Total Eclipse of the Heart." I think I ripped up my voice when I did it, so I wanted to take things easy this time.

Going with the rather safe choice (for me) of Barry Manilow's "Copacabana," I didn't rip up my voice. I had fun and plenty of people danced. Plenty of others who weren't dancing took pictures of my rather amusing dance moves during the extended conga break.

Not every run at karaoke has been fun, and whenever I botch a song, it kind of taints it for me for a while. Here's a rundown, along with witnesses to back up my claims:

"Fooled Around and Fell In Love" by Elvin Bishop
Witness(es)? Matt, Chris, and Tim.
How bad was it? Really bad. Shortly into it, I realized Mickey Thomas's vocals were way out of my range. The usually melodic, bluesy chorus got a major slaughtering.

"It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine)" by R.E.M.
Witnesses? Matt, Chris, and Tim
How bad was it? Not really bad, but I did go to the chorus too soon after the first verse. I didn't make the same mistake the next time I did the song. It was the beginning of the tipoff that I do better with songs where I talk more than sing. I usually look for this song in the list, along with Billy Joel's "Scenes from an Italian Restaurant."

"Daydream Believer" by the Monkees
Witness(es)? Nick
How bad was it? Well, it wasn't really karaoke, but it was goofing around at a frat party. I fudged some of the lyrics and couldn't carry a tune. It was a tipoff that I can't sing.

Comments

Chris said…
"Fooled Around and Fell In Love" - may have been bad, but fun none-the-less.

"It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine)" - I actually don't remember that being bad at all.

I always feel that the karoke people change the songs just slightly to throw people off anyway.
Todd Carruth said…
Well, I know the Barry Manilow choice was done tongue-in-cheek but I am forever thankful in your song choice since I was able to successfully procure a phone number from one of the girls that I danced with during your tribute.

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J