Skip to main content

The mind of a self-deprecating man

"Watching Spaced is kinda like watching a Kevin Smith film if Kevin Smith had any real talent."

--Kevin Smith

Seeing this quote on the back of the Region 1 box set of Spaced reminded me of something I've heard plenty from Kevin (and have experienced in my own ways in my life): self-deprecation. I don't exactly know what compels people to be so down on themselves, but I have some observations.

There's something that naysayers want (and is something that we all want): to be heard. It's why we speak up, right? We want to be acknowledged, yes? Well, acknowledging that gripe, even if you disagree with the gripe, at your own expense can be a way of saying you're not oblivious to your limits. Limits can be seen as flaws, but they can also be boundaries that you're most comfortable with.

A phrase Kevin has often used when explaining his self-deprecation is to "steal the thunder" from his worst critics. Whether or not that makes his worst critics think harder about something worse to say, I don't know. I do know this: people will still complain about something. Complaining is easy, and on the Internet, it's very easy to say mean things anonymously and not be reprimanded for them.

In a roundabout way, taking the piss out of yourself is a way to automatically gain sympathy from others. But I've often found it causes people to say you're way too hard on yourself. In my eyes, I'd rather talk down about my stuff than to think too highly of it. It's like I think highly of my work, but I try not to let it overshadow everything else I do, hence the occasional piss-taking. I'd rather joke about how my next book will be my own Mallrats rather than say it will be my own Days of Heaven.

What's even more strange is that when you've been so self-deprecating for so long, it's like you look forward to harsh words. You fool yourself into thinking that negative stuff is a more real way of being accepted. Well, too many people think general honesty means being brutal and harsh instead of being complimentary and tactful. It can become your own cage and bum you out.

All this said, there are reasons why a lot of people stay on their creative path, naysayers be damned. Dealing with the negative is a part of the process while so many other parts are positive and fulfilling. It's enough to say the good outways the bad, so you stick with what makes you happy. Isn't that what we all in life?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J