Skip to main content

Turn around, pizza eyes

If you've watched any NFL football game in at least the last month, you've seen Domino's newest ad campaign. Taking longtime criticism of their pizza to heart, they believe they've come up with a better-tasting pizza. A "turnaround" pizza as it has been called. Folks in the Onion's Chicago office recently tried it and gave their verdicts. And I got hungry. Not specifically for Domino's pizza, but for pizza in general. I still eat pizza every week, so it's a good excuse.

In the case of the turnaround pizza, I have yet to try it. Matter of fact, I can't recall when I last ate Domino's or Papa John's. Aside from a mini-party at my office a few months ago where Pizza Hut was delivered, my consumption of national chain pizza has been very small.

Alas, there was a time when I didn't eat small, frozen, made-for-one pizzas courtesy of DiGiorno's.

In my family, Sunday was the day to eat pizza. When we lived in New Orleans, we ate at Godfather's Pizza. When we moved to Houston, we ate at the closest Godfather's until the closest one moved twenty-five minutes away. We switched to Pizza Hut and ate that for years until my sister said she didn't like Pizza Hut anymore. There were flings with Little Caesar's here and there. Then we moved onto Papa John's, but then college came along and my sister and I left the nest. I moved onto having CiCi's buffet and a few deliveries from Papa John's and Pizza Hut here and there. Eventually I just hunkered down with DiGiorno's when I decided I didn't want to wait for pizza to be delivered and didn't want to have a lot of leftover pizza in the fridge.

Since I moved out and my sister moved out, I don't know if my parents still eat pizza on a regular basis. These days, if we do get together and eat pizza when I'm in town, it's at my sister's house with her family and our parents. Knowing that my nieces love pizza, I doubt our loose family tradition will stop.

But between a lot of family dinners, there were many pool parties and birthday parties that had Domino's. Matter of fact, I tend to associate Domino's with all the times in the mid-1980s when I didn't have Godfather's. Yet somehow Pizza Hut came from behind later in the 1980s and claimed first place and really hasn't weakened since. I guess we can thank advertising for that one.

Still, my consumption of pizza has no signs of letting up. I have no objection to trying Domino's new recipe. Then again, I didn't hate their old recipe. I wonder if people who loved the old recipe are up in arms about the change. Shall wait and see. Until then, I'm hungry for some pizza.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J