Skip to main content

The Descent Part 2: Why?

When I finished watching The Descent a couple of years ago, I was not screaming for a sequel. Since producers listen more to box office receipts and DVD rentals and sales than fans' desires, The Descent: Part 2 was made. Director Neil Marshall was involved as an executive producer on the sequel, but then again, Bob Clark was a producer on the awful Black Christmas remake. (Alas, Danny Boyle was a producer on 28 Weeks Later and that miraculously worked incredibly well.)

If I hoped that Part 2 was going to be as great as 28 Weeks Later, that hope diminished quite quickly. If anything, Part 2 will be as well remembered as Silent Night, Deadly Night 2.

Why I chose to subject myself to this movie was for Richard's European horror movie book. Since I praised the hell out of the original Descent, I felt obligated to at least watch its sequel. I have no regrets in watching this movie, but I have a lot of reservations about ever watching it again. My love of the original has not been tainted. Rather, it gives all sorts of more reasons to love the original even more.

At its core, Part 2 is really a What If? movie. What if Sarah actually escaped and never came to terms with her daughter's death? What if you saw the original theatrical version and wanted to know what happened literally hours after the events in the original? Since I wasn't one of those people, this movie was not for me. Since I like some bit of logic to taking a woman who was just admitted to a hospital for cuts and amnesia out of the hospital to help find the other women, this movie was not for me.

At no point in watching this did I ever feel paranoid, trapped, or uncomfortable. The original does that incredibly well and my nerves are always rattled when the scares kick in. The sequel attempts to recreate those "gotcha!" beats but I rarely jumped. Not helping matters was that the characters were very thin character types just waiting to be slaughtered.

I know I can't expect all horror movie sequels to be on par with the original Dawn of the Dead, but sometimes, there are certain horror films that should not become franchises.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J