Skip to main content

D'oh (TV on DVD edition)

I have no one to blame but myself for this, but I learned a hard lesson today about being a fan of a TV show when it goes onto DVD. In a post on Ain't It Cool, some details emerged about those who were curious about what happened after the events in "The End." And if you really want to see a never-before-seen epilogue, you'll have to have $200 to see it on the "Complete Collection" DVD set, dropping in August.

It was then that I realized I should have waited until LOST was finished before ever buying the show on DVD.

(Cue the sad trombone slide.)

I have my reasons for why I bought every season at a time. I got into the show shortly into the second season. I was impatient with renting each disc from the first season on DVD from Netflix, so I just said to hell with it and bought the whole first season using a gift card I received for Christmas that year.

Because of watching the whole first season in one swoop, I was completely up to speed on the second season. And because I love listening to commentary tracks and behind-the-scenes supplemental features, I bought seasons two and three when they respectively came out on DVD.

Then, around the time the fourth season was released on Blu-ray, the first three seasons were released on Blu-ray for the first time. I considered buying those first three seasons again since the show was shot in high definition and looks best on Blu-ray. Alas, I held off, and now I'm glad.

Like I did last year with Battlestar Galactica, I think it's worth to pony up for the BD edition of a show. The episodes look incredibly better in this format. Matter of fact, I've yet to see something look bad on BD.

So yes, I'm giving into the double-dip, but I won't lie how excited I am about seeing new features and the pilot episode in HD for the first time. But again, the next time I get into a show, wait until the show is wrapped to buy the thing on DVD.

UPDATE: Turns out the epilogue will be on the Season 6 edition as well. Lesson remains: wait until the show's over and then buy on DVD.

Comments

Ted said…
I think I'll just wait for the 20 minute epilogue to be posted on You Tube. :-)

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J