Skip to main content

Don't Turn Away

Whenever people ask me, "Who's your favorite band?," I can't say there is only one. There are several bands/artists that I have really enjoy over the years (like Ben Folds Five, Wilco, Led Zeppelin, Metallica) but definitely one of my favorites is face to face (the pop-punk band, not to be confused with the '80s Boston band, Face to Face).

Yes, face to face was mixed in with a ton of pop-punk bands in the 1990s, but they were a cut above. They weren't about toilet humor or playing obnoxiously fast; they were inspiring back in the day and they're still inspiring today.

Vocalist/lyricist Trever Keith's voice is big and open; not snotty, childish or grating on eardrums. Plus, what's coming out of his mouth can be understandable today or six months or ten years.

Keith's lyrics are often general, non-specific and full of phrases to live by. Lyrics like, "There is someone who knows everything there is to know/There is someone who is too afraid to let it show/We live by consequences/We never seem to get it right/Conflict of circumstances/and sometimes we may lose a fight" mean a lot to me. I don't know if there will be a time when I won't be able to relate to these kinds of lyrics.

Then there's the music: their debut, Don't Turn Away, is essential to understand this band. With the exception of Ignorance is Bliss, their subsequent albums continued in the vein of Don't Turn Away. In all, I don't think they ever made a bad album, even the often-maligned, Ignorance is Bliss.

Ignorance is Bliss followed down a different path with darker moods and lyrics, but I think it still really stands up. The band went out on a major limb with that record, but they had to do it in order to stay together. They put out two solid albums, Reactionary and How to Ruin Everything, following this, but the band was losing steam. They called it quits in 2003.

I saw face to face play live three times: at the Abyss in 1997 with MxPx, at Liberty Lunch in 1999 with No Motiv and at Deep Ellum Live in 2000 (my review is here). They were three rather different shows with three different line-ups. I would say the best performance was at the Abyss: they just kept playing great song one after another. I got to meet the band members following the Liberty Lunch show and was in heaven. I thought they were awesome and very cordial guys. The sincerity behind the music and the lyrics was proven true and I've never forgotten that about them.

Even though I don't listen to pop-punk as much as I used to back in the day, face to face still sticks out in my mind as far as influences on my life and my writing. Maybe this makes them my favorite band, but they weren't the only band.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J