Skip to main content

On the Radio

If everything works out (barring car troubles and weather), I'll be on the Good Show this Sunday night (the 17th) to talk about my book's progress. I'll be on some time between 9pm and 11pm, but I don't have specifics. You can listen to KTCU live with this link. If you can't listen live, I believe the Good Show now posts podcasts of their shows.

Here is a book update:
I'm still working on the Get Up Kids chapter. Thanks to Nathan Ellis (Coalesce/Casket Lottery) for some great perspective on the Kansas/Missouri scene in the mid-to-late-90s. Still haven't interviewed the Pope brothers though. I don't know which chapter I'll tackle next. Maybe the Sunny Day Real Estate chapter or the Jimmy Eat World chapter.

So, here is a detailed chapter breakdown (bold=complete in rough draft form):

A Starting Point (aka, introductory chapter)
Dischord Records, Washington DC
Jawbox, Washington DC
Jawbreaker, San Francisco, CA
Sunny Day Real Estate, Seattle, WA
Braid, Champaign, IL
The Promise Ring, Milwaukee, WI
Hot Water Music, Gainesville, FL
The Get Up Kids, Kansas City, MO
At the Drive-In, El Paso, TX
Jimmy Eat World, Mesa, AZ
Pause (aka, epilogue chapter)

Comments

Daniel Eizans said…
Eric,

I love the book you're working on. If you ever need a little help with any of the Midwest stuff, I'm pretty familiar with the Detroit/Chicago scenes from 94 to the present and have a few people I can put you in touch with who have played in those scenes, from Pharoh's Golden Cup to Detroit's Magic Stick and the Shelter.

Drop me an email if you ever get to anything in the Mitten State.
Eric Grubbs said…
I'd totally love to have you onboard, but I can't seem to find your e-mail address.

Here's mine (connect the spaces here):

ejgrubbs at comcast.net

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J