Skip to main content

I'm nostalgic for conversations I had yesterday.

I think it's very safe to say that if Noah Baumbach had never co-written The Life Aquatic with Wes Anderson, I would have never heard of Kicking and Screaming. Forever confused with the 2005 Will Ferrell/Robert Duvall kids soccer movie of the same name, Baumbach's 1995 film could also be considered one of the seven movies that Parker Posey acted in that were released that year. Add Eric Stoltz to the mentions of who's in the film and you have a film ripe for indie film stereotyping. So why should you give a crap about Kicking and Screaming? Because it's a story is about a time in our lives that is too often looked passed as a brief transition.

Originally titled Fifth Year, Kicking and Screaming portrays the first year of a handful of friends post-college. Opting to stay close to the university they graduated from, one re-enrolls, one ponders either graduate school or a job, one drifts with no real goals and one tries to get over a break-up. Doesn't that sound like people we know? It does for me with the people I know and have known in my first few years out of college.

I stayed in my college's town eight months after I graduated in December '01. Working part-time but obsessively worrying full-time about not having a full-time job, I felt very low for a solid three months. A number of my friends were still in school, so I spent a lot of time hanging out with them. Playing in two bands in town, I had plenty of stuff to do, but I still had the "Now what?" feeling. This is definitely something they can't prepare you for in school, but this is a challenge we must take on. We gotta feel like the pinball in the pinball machine sometime and it's not exclusive to the first year out of college.

Watching Kicking and Screaming, I quickly realized that the character types up on screen weren't that far removed from the attitudes and personalities I've run into. I'm talking the smart guys who seem like they have it together but are as scared as you. "What I use to able to pass off as a bad summer could now potentially turn into a bad life," says Max in one of his most memorable lines. How true. How true.

A major part of the film that I'm puzzled/intrigued by is the ending. I'm not giving it away, but to me, the film pauses more than it ends. You don't get a full resolution, but now that I think about it, this seems like a great way to end the film. Think about your own life -- was there a point when you realized you weren't a kid anymore but didn't feel like a responsible adult? I've been feeling like that for years and often question my level of post-collegiate "success."

Not to knock The Graduate or Bottle Rocket, but Kicking and Screaming is able to look at people's live post-school with a sharper sense of grounded reality. Like those films, Kicking and Screaming tells this story in a very timeless way. Other than some hairstyles and clothes, very little about the film has aged in a bad way. As a film that came out post-Slacker, the Generation X tag is almost always going to be found somewhere in the description. Until you actually watch the film for the first time, you'll probably realize that this is not just a Generation X thing. Just like teen angst, we go through the post-education angst phase, but we don't often see it in the movies. So kudos to the Criterion Collection for re-issuing this on DVD.

Comments

josh Mueller said…
I so love this film. I fondly remember booking it as the final film of the year when I ran the campus cinema at Syracuse.

Funny little note- Perrey Reeves who plays Ari's wife on Entourage is the topless freshmen in the "gotta sleep with a freshmen" scene.
Eric Grubbs said…
Very nice Josh. Thanks for sharing.
stonedranger said…
I really like this movie too. Total classic.
Reel Fanatic said…
This is indeed a great little flick, and like you I never would have seen it if it weren't for "Zissou" .. this often gets lumped in with "gen X" movies like Singles or Reality Bites, but it is clearly superior to those
Anonymous said…
Yeah, it was good. I liked Walking and Talking better. And I only bring it up because of the title trend. Oh, and Parker Posey. But any other relation other than indie flick is nil.
Anonymous said…
ooo...thanks, grubbs! i will be checking out this movie soon. i'll also be referring it to several people. i'll let you know what i think.
jen said…
yes, this is one of my top three movies of all time. i originally saw it in college with jayson (josh's brother) and have been waiting for 10 years for the dvd release. hopefully now more people will see it and not wonder why every year my nanowrimo entry is titled "monkeys monkeys ted and alice"....
Rj said…
That's a great flick.

Another good indie flick that deals with life after school is "Chillicothe".

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J