Skip to main content

Like Eating Glass

After being available in limited release earlier this year, the God Bless Bloc Party DVD saw a wide release a couple of months ago. Part of that wide release included being available on Netflix, so I was finally able to see it. Despite some lackluster reviews, I wanted to see it. Well, I'm glad I saw it, but a certain percentage rubbed me the wrong way.

Bloc Party is an incredible live band and a full live set alone is worth putting onto a DVD. Yet God Bless features a documentary that splices interviews with parts of a live set in LA. To be frank, the presentation comes across as a distraction. Featuring a number of awkward moments during interviews, this stuff made me wonder about the nature of interviews in general.

I remember seeing Matt Pinfield trying to get the guys from Blur to talk on 120 Minutes. He might have had better luck doing dental surgery without morphine. Speaking just above a whisper, getting a full sentence out of them was hard. I felt the same watching a bored Bloc Party answer questions I'm sure they've been asked many times before. No matter how annoying answering the same questions over and over again can be, interviews are a part of the game when you want to play music in front of people.

Not to toot my horn, but I always do some research on someone before I interview him or her. I figure there's always room for meatier stuff beyond the standard questions (What are your influences?, How long have been a band? and so on), so I want to get to that as quickly as possible. The person might have answered this question hundreds of times over a handful of years, but I argue that I should give people the benefit of the doubt. Usually, my interview is my first conversation with the person, so how could know his/her's life story off the top of my head?

When I meet new people and I bring up my traffic reporting gig, I'm usually asked if I fly in a helicopter. I don't get angry, shrug or roll my eyes at this question because this is my first conversation with this person. Now, if I was asked this question twenty times a day for six months straight, it could get annoying, but still, this is always a first conversation situation.

I look forward to Bloc Party's new record (due early next year) and I'm sure they'll do plenty of press. Here's to hoping that another DVD comes out. Maybe someone will commission a documentary on their story and hopefully these guys will be up for talking about themselves.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J