Skip to main content

Bunch of savages in this town.

I have yet to see Grindhouse, but something Keith wrote in the comments section of his review really made me think:

One of the sagest pieces of advice I ever received as a critic was that you can never judge something by its worst fans.

If I'm reading this correctly, what I gather is that you can't fully judge something by what fervent fanboys and doubters say. Sounds like a reasonable judgment right? Well, why do we give so much power to what these fervent people have to say?

A part of reading online news stories/reviews is seeing the comments section. Sometimes the comments can be valid, but more than anything, they're knee-jerk reactions to whatever the topic is. They can be well-written, but more often than not, they're immature and tacky. There's a whole culture around online comments sections that I've never fully understood. Does being the first one to post a response qualify you as a winner? Not in my book, but it is for plenty of people. Does a poorly-written, two-sentence response to a multi-paragraph review carry as much weight? Not to me.

I'm still in the dark about how somebody could highly praise a writer, director, or band and later rip them to shreds. And the ripping apart is usually over one matter -- be it a follow-up book, film or album. It's the apparent ebb and flow, but I've never understood the abundance of vitriol. It's as if you love a person's work, you're destined to hate it.

Now, my personal experiences with the extreme have usually been separated by one or two degrees of separation. I have friends and family who are very much into the world of anime and sci-fi who take relaxed, tactful approaches in talking about their feelings on various shows and movies. But they definitely know people who make Comic Book Guy on The Simpsons look tame. Chances are very good the reason why these people are so ardent has nothing to do with the shows they watch, the films they see, the books they read or the music they listen to. Be it fear of rejection or anger towards family or friends, the list is endless.

Still, what's the most frequent topic brought up in interviews? What the hardcore fans' response is/will be. "How will your fans react that this is coming out on Sire Records?" "What about the fans of your first film, Clerks?" "What's been the response from your fans about your latest book?" It never ends and never fails in writing copy. Such is life, but I think it's important to place more emphasis on how the person felt about writing the book, directing the film or making the record. That's far more interesting to me. Besides, you will always have doubters, even with your most critically-acclaimed work.

So, the advice Keith got is very true. But I'll add this, what carries more weight: how you feel about the book/movie/record or what everyone else thinks of it? I go for the former. Of course I acknowledge what the critics are saying, but I stick with my own feeling.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J