Skip to main content

Take Your Time

I can't think of a lot of bands that have been around for a number of years, put out a number of records, and are still interesting/relevant to a sizable, modern audience. There are a few I can think of, but Low seems to fit the criteria as of late with me.

Formed in 1993, the band has released eight proper albums, a slew of EPs and singles, a couple live records, a box set, and a DVD. Pretty impressive, but for so long, it seemed like they had only one vibe. Their songs were not just slow and calm, but the dirge-like feel found on them was easy to dismiss. For me, I wasn't too impressed by what I heard for this very reason. The saving grace was Alan and Mimi's vocal harmonizing. But that wasn't completely enough for me to dig into any of their records.

Well, thanks to a recommendation (and liking the sound clips I heard) on a recent Sound Opinions podcast, I decided to check out their latest, Drums and Guns. No, this isn't the most cheerful music, but it's not bedtime music either. As a matter of fact, it's about the subtleties here. As much as I am one to avoid electronic-tinged music, the electronics found on this record are pretty melodic. They provide some very nice atmosphere. Alan and Mimi's vocals are pretty great as usual and there are plenty of different moods on here.

But all this gets me to think: this band is still putting out interesting stuff and they're on their eighth record. Now is it me, or does this seem weird? I hear all the time about how some band's first or second album is better than anything else in their catalog. I'm well aware that lightning is very hard to bottle, but a few modern bands are on a hot streak. There's no winning formula here, but I can't help but notice this is prevalent with a number of bands that formed in the Nineties. Be it Death Cab for Cutie, Belle & Sebastian or Wilco, the connecting glue is the long haul.

Now I'm not dissing bands that are only a few years old here, but I wonder if we'll be talking about Voxtrot's fifth record in high regard as their debut material. In a day and age when a number of people are pulling out the proverbial knives on their self-titled debut album, it's something I think about. Is this just a changing of the times?

I don't believe any band has a plan to remain relevant, but I get the feeling certain bands are willing to endure and progress at the same time. Of course, the question of popular relevance is decided more by the fans and critics. That equation is really difficult to understand.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J