Skip to main content

The Door in the Floor

I recently paid a visit to the new location of a Deep Ellum staple, the Door. Taking over the building where the Gypsy Tea Room once was, things weren't that much different, which was fine by me. I will say though: a few weeks before going to this show, I saw the rubble of the old Door location and kind of felt like Ben Kenobi when Alderaan was zapped in Star Wars. Nobody was killed in this case, but it felt like a lot of memories had been reduced down to almost nothing. And that is, for a lack of a better term, draining.

The old Door was the place where I saw the Get Up Kids attract a crowd that was double the venue's capacity. When I interviewed various members of the band for POST, they still remembered that show (especially the heat in the room). This was the venue where I saw Braid on their reunion tour and interviewed half of the band for my book. These are just some of my memories of the place as I saw plenty of great shows between 1999 and 2007.

Now, as mentioned in many local publications for the last couple of years, Deep Ellum is slowly transitioning into something else. What that is exactly, I'm not sure, other than a lot more lofts and office spaces are being built. With the home-buying market in a crisis, I'm wondering how much this is an effect on all these new spots people apparently want to buy. All I know is, my trips to Deep Ellum have been less and less for the past few years.

The way I see it, it is a shame to see one big hotspot be split up into various parts of town, but I've seen worse. In the town where I grew up (Houston), there's never been a centralized location of great bars and clubs for live music. Pretty much the places to go were Fitzgerald's and Numbers. So I was lucky to see the tail-end of Deep Ellum's heyday when I moved up to the D/FW area in 1998.

As far as I know, there's never been something like Seattle's Teen Dance Ordinance, where all-ages shows were, for the most part, banned city-wide. So Dallas has never been that bad. But the redeeming (and seemingly vanishing) value of Deep Ellum is its history. People have legit fears seeing historical places be surrounded by vacant yuppiedom. I have them too. And it gets scary sometimes, but at least there are still places to play in town and national touring bands still stop here. Maybe Dallas was just spoiled for a long time and it's been a slow and painful process of phasing out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J