Skip to main content

It's not about winning. It's about you and your relationship with yourself, your family and your friends.

Today, Eric posted a fourth collection of songs considered emo/post-hardcore from the Nineties. This time it's at a crucial turning point between underground visibility and mainstream visibility. I pinpoint 1999 as a major turning point since the Get Up Kids' Something to Write Home About, the Promise Ring's Very Emergency, and Jimmy Eat World's Clarity were all released that year. By 2001, with the crossover, platinum success of Jimmy Eat World's Bleed American, things have not been the same, for better or for worse.

I don't blame people who don't follow music like I do to just gloss over the transition years between Nevermind, Dookie, OK Computer, and Bleed American. However, a big motivating factor for me is to remind people that nothing really happens overnight or out of thin air.

There's something to be said whenever I talk with people who were involved in some form or fashion with post-hardcore/emo, hardcore, and/or pop-punk in the mid- to late Nineties. They were defining years for these people, and they still think highly of them. Of course, they're not saying those were the best years of their lives, but there was something special going on for them. Be it putting on a show, letting a band stay with them, putting out a 7", doing a zine, playing in a band, and/or just going to shows, there was something more intimate -- moreover, powerful.

When asked why I should try to document this, I can't find a reason not to.

As I've gone over Post again and again in the last few months, I can't but think there's a Friday Night Lights vibe to it. No, I'm not comparing its quality to the book, film, and series of the same name. Rather, it's this sense of defining personal success over what is widely considered success to those that aren't directly involved (you know, winning the big game, getting the girl, defeating the villain, making lots of money, etc.). Only two of the bands I covered had records that sold over 500,000 copies, but that's just small potatoes compared to everything else I covered.

To me, if Friday Night Lights covered the undefeated season following the year they lost in the playoffs, it wouldn't have the same impact. Sure, we prefer happy endings, but there's a deeper, emotional reward that goes beyond winning a championship (or in the case of Post, getting a Gold record). The experience is what counts the most.

If I chose to cover Death Cab for Cutie, Bright Eyes, Dashboard Confessional, Taking Back Sunday, and Fall Out Boy, coupled with the Get Up Kids, At the Drive-In, and Jimmy Eat World, I don't think it would be that compelling of a read. Nevermind the fact that it would be a disjointed read, I personally like to hear more stories about the underdogs who've never had as much coverage as the popular ones. Recently reading Dean Wareham's memoir, Black Postcards, about his time in Galaxie 500 and Luna, was far more compelling than say, Marc Spitz's book on Green Day, Nobody Likes You.

But, that's just me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J