Skip to main content

We've met before, haven't we?

I recently blogged about stumbling across books and DVDs that I didn't know existed, and being glad they existed. Well, sometimes I get rather annoyed when I find out new editions of DVDs have come out stateside, mere months after I paid a pretty coin for an import version. Today's "a-ha!" was thanks in part to Keith's review of a new DVD version of Lost Highway.

When I saw Lost Highway for the first time last year, I was quite taken with it. Despite it being on DVD, it was in full-frame, pan-and-scan and looked awful. Regardless, I really liked the movie as a whole and wanted to see it in its correct 2.35:1 ratio. Hearing that the Region 2 version had the movie in widescreen, as well as a second disc of on-set interviews with Lynch and some of the film's stars, I had to get it. (I should add that most of Lynch's films in Region 1 have scant supplemental features or nothing at all.) So, my casual desire for a region-free DVD player so I could watch U.K. bands' video collections has had some nice side effects.

Seeing as how the new U.S. release of Lost Highway has the film in widescreen, but with no extras, there's a sense of relief for me as a supplemental features fiend. However, when I heard about the 3-disc version of Hot Fuzz coming out in the states, I was rather miffed. Miffed because also in the shipment that brought me Lost Highway was the two-disc version of Hot Fuzz.

Since the 2-disc version of Shaun of the Dead (complete with a commentary track by zombies, along with three other commentary tracks) has never been released stateside, I highly doubted the 2-disc version of Hot Fuzz would come out here as well. When this 3-disc version was announced (containing all the features from the 2-disc version, as well as a new commentary track with Edgar Wright and Quentin Tarantino), I decided to pass on getting it. Even after these months, I still haven't listened to all four commentary tracks or gone through all the extra features.

To me, a major part of the DVD-buying experience is the supplemental features. Hell, it's what I go to first before I watch the movie again. (Whenever I rent a movie I have not seen the first time, though, I go with the feature first, then extras.) I'm in the midst of going through this year's Stanley Kubrick box set with the extras first. Then I rope back around to the films themselves with the commentary tracks turned off.

Looking back ten years ago, home movie watching for me was buying or renting one version on VHS, with no supplemental features, only once. Now I can't imagine watching a DVD without supplemental features or reading trivia about the film online. Plus, learning what I've learned about DVD releases, they can be long-in-development, but can't be believed until they actually arrive. I guess I should check Largehearted Boy a little more often for the week in DVD releases for starters . . .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J