Skip to main content

Don't take her, she's all I got

When I watch a movie that I find unsatisfying, I find plenty of satisfaction when that movie introduces to me a great song that I had never heard before. That makes for the overall experience to be a positive thing, even if I don't plan on watching that movie ever again.

A few years ago, I was introduced to a wonderful song by the Kinks that was from their mid-1970s period called "God's Children." The song was used in a beautiful-looking movie that was filled with flat attempts at humor and mostly one-note characters: American Fork. Since seeing that, "God's Children" has become one of my favorite Kinks songs, right along with songs like "Waterloo Sunset" and "When I See That Girl of Mine."

So, I thank the filmmakers, but wonder what I learned in those other 85 minutes. I'm still in the dark on that one.

Anyway, I watched Mike Judge's Extract over the weekend, and would give it two-and-a-half-stars. Since Netflix only goes by whole numbers, I decided to rate the film with only two stars. Of course, that comes up as "Didn't like it," but that's not entirely true. I loved the opening shot featuring a country song I had never heard of (and have since listened to dozens of times): Johnny Paycheck's "(Don't Take Her) She's All I Got."

As I have partially joked over the years (including on a country station I used to be on where I could let my short hair down), I find a lot of country music as pop music played in the wrong key. Something about the way country singers sing, the lack of arresting melodies or harmonies, and the abundance of twang just has never set right with me. Yet I have no problem listening to country-influenced rock acts like My Morning Jacket, Ryan Adams, and the Jayhawks.

Like the other relatively old school country song that I like ("Amarillo By Morning" by George Strait) I have to thank the simple, climbing I-IV-V chord progression under the verses. Two or three chords can totally change the vibe of a song for the better or the worse. Thankfully, "She's All I Got" has the right ones.

So even though I didn't find the whole movie a joy, at least I now have a great Johnny Paycheck song in my iTunes library, and I know more about him other than "Take This Job and Shove It."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J