Skip to main content

The Dryer Wars IV: No World for Tomorrow

I hope something in the universe doesn't treat this as a way to torture me after I post this, but it looks like our dryer woes have come to an end. They actually came to an end a couple of weeks ago, but I was hesitant to say they were over because I thought they had been over a couple of times before. Now I'm pretty sure. As in, 95 percent sure they're done, leaving 5 percent to the possibility they aren't.

In our entire cast of repairmen that came out to work on our problem, the second electrician was the one who saved the day. He also saved the day the last time, but it looks like his fix has fixed the problem for good.

The problem? Wiring in the circuit breaker. One of the wires used to have a white coating, but it sure wasn't pure white anymore. There were some small burn marks over certain spots, giving us the impression that some sparks flew. So the electrician just put the wire into a different spot on the breaker and everything has worked fine since.

If I've learned anything more since the last time I wrote about this, it's that I should keep quiet about things that get fixed for at least six months. It's like the rule of thumb I have for friends who want to quit smoking or drinking: don't make your decision to quit public until at least six months have passed. Too often, that journey on the path gets derailed and you're back on the wagon.

Believe me, I love talking about the things that are going right in my life. I just tend to find things go haywire when I make a big public announcement about it. We're talking the epitome of knocking on wood here. And that's frustrating.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J