Skip to main content

Fast Cars

Friday night, I was lucky enough to see the legendary Buzzcocks at the Loft. My fellow Observer writer Doug Davis seemed to perfectly sum up the show in his review, but I wanted to add a couple of observations.

For as long as I've enjoyed punk rock, I have always hated being in a mosh pit. Pits are fun to watch in Pearl Jam and Pantera videos, but they're not fun when you're trying to enjoy the music in person. I prefer to have my eyes on the band and not on somebody wanting to treat other people like a pinball machine.

The pit at the Buzzcocks was nowhere near the kind of pit I found myself stuck in when I saw Green Day in the late 1990s. Nobody was stage-diving and from what I could see, nobody got hurt. I was able to stay upfront for most of the first half of the set, but the tide pushed me over to stage left, where Alan from the Observer just happened to be. For the rest of the set, I stood comfortably even though a girl in dreads thought it was so awesome that she spilled her mix drink and lit up a joint.

In the words of Bill Cosby, this is called having a good time? To an extent, yes for me, even though I smelled like I came home from a fully-clothed orgy. Nothing like combining sweat from guys and girls as well as cologne and perfume. But I got to see a band I've only really know about since the late 1990s. Sure was nice to see them right up front, at least for a little while.

Something that I thought about as the band just rattled through their first two albums in order: the first time I ever read about the band. Rolling Stone's Alt-Rock-a-Rama book introduced me to a number of bands I would spend years investigating and slowly getting into. I'm talking Mission of Burma and plenty of others. The entry about the Buzzcocks praised their Singles Going Steady compilation since, in the mind of the reviewer, many of the band's albums had filler. Seeing the show on Friday, I was in complete agreement.

It's not like the material was pure filler. There were no wasted moments or self-indulgent workouts. Rather, there were great songs and OK songs. And of course the encore with all the singles was fantastic.

I might want to say at this point that I'm getting too old for shows like this, but I can't. Pete Shelley might look like he should be teaching English at a prep school, yet he still has the voice and charisma that has always made him and his band such a special group.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J