Skip to main content

Listeners Welcome

After listening to only a couple of podcasts for the past seven years, I finally decided to expand some of those proverbial horizons. A little bit.

These days, podcasts are perfect for laundry day, aka Wednesday. This way, I can retain what's said on a podcast when I'm not writing or reading. The thing is, folding laundry takes up maybe 30 minutes total. But as much as I enjoy Greg and Jim on Sound Opinions and Kevin and Scott on their SModcast network, I wanted some variety. Only took seven years to get to that point.

A few months ago, I asked for suggestions via my Facebook page. I mentioned that I liked Sound Opinions and Reasonable Discussions and hoped that could be a good indicator of what I might want to check out. My friend Sean suggested Low Times, my friend Lance suggested The Nerdist and Mohr Stories, and I had heard my friend Jonah was a part of Going Off Track. Coupled with Bullseye and WTF with Marc Maron and Washed Up Emo, I have a lot to pick from.

And I decided to carve out some extra time, beyond laundry day, to keep up with these podcasts. The only catch is, I can't be reading when I'm listening. I can't focus on reading, writing, or editing while I'm also trying to focus on what's being said. I think about people I know who do that and I wonder how they do it. Or is the podcast just white noise?

I'm up for being exposed to other podcasts, but I have some stipulations:

1) If you sound like you just got out of bed and turned the microphones on, I'm probably not going to listen beyond the first minute.

2) If your level of snark is incredibly high in the first 20 seconds, I'm going to listen to something else. High levels of snark might come across as "reality" to some, but it comes across as the opposite to me.

3) Stay on topic and get to the point!

That's all I'm asking for, and I don't think that's too much. Laundry day is always every week, so I welcome anything more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J