Skip to main content

Everybody's Working for the Weak

Friday night was a great bill at the Barley House: Horses and Chatterton, both from Fort Worth. Neither band was a disappointment and I thoroughly enjoyed them. Following Horses' proper set was the debut of the Lewis Morning News, a band featuring all of Horses' members and their friend Miles on lead vocals. They only play Huey Lewis & the News covers and this set featured "The Heart of Rock & Roll" and "The Power of Love." Hearing those songs brought back great memories of DeLoreans, bassists with sunglasses and combed-back hair.

After the show, I went straight home and took a shower. As I'm brushing my teeth, I hear Jason and Cari coming in. They tell me that a certain person from a certain band might be coming over to our house. The person comes over about 15 minutes later with a friend, so we hang out for a while. Who is this person? Well, I hate the word "rock star," but this person is in a band that a lot of people in the indie rock/hipster/indie yuppie world know. If I told my mom who he is, she wouldn't know. My point is this, he is somebody I've read articles about, heard his band's music and have seen pictures of him. However, he is a human and he was a guest in our house so I treated him like a friend. I didn't dish out too many music journalist-like questions on him. I figured he deals with that stuff enough.

Saturday, thanks to my friend Seth's recommendation, I checked out Troubled Hubble at the Gypsy Tea Room. Even though I knew only a couple of songs beforehand, I was blown away by their set. They are yet another great rock-band-that-you-can't-easily-pigeonhole on Lookout!, so I can't say anything more than they rocked hard. They bounced up and down, had fun with the audience and they rocked out with power and conviction. I'm now a fan. They're from Illinois and I wonder if they'll be in Chicago in the middle of October . . .

Following Troubled Hubble, I checked out the Smoke at Arts Avenue. The Smoke is the moniker that DJ Jason Harris uses when he spins '60s Big Beat, Mod, R&B and Northern Soul from both sides of the Atlantic. He plays a lot of obscure stuff, but it's the kind of stuff you like after one listening. The songs keep going and going and you can't stop tapping your foot. I heard some great stuff and now I'm searching for them online . . .

This weekend was a nice alternate to the usual staying-in-and-watching-movies weekend.

Comments

Anonymous said…
The interesting thing is that my mom DID know who he was. When I told her about Friday night, she said, "Oh! Band X got a lovely write up in the Dallas Morning News."

That Sharon always surprising. That Cari, always overserved and sleepy.

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J