Skip to main content

Beat Kitchen Redux

Here's a recap of last night's show at the Beat Kitchen, warts and all:

An outsider looking in at two details would say the show was a disaster. "Only" 65-75 people showed up and we didn't add any money to the book printing fund. As far as an insider's perspective (aka, mine), the show was an overwhelming success.

From a fan's perspective, I thought all of the acts really stepped up last night. You could say that Nick's music under the Dogme 95 moniker is more performance art than traditional musical performance, but I think the guy has quite a few sweet tunes with all the smoke, beats, loops and percussion. Plus, he really sang his head off. With Hirudin, Kyle told me how the band seemed to have more crappy shows than good shows as of late, but I think he would say that last night's set was pretty on-the-mark great. They were tight as hell and they rolled through an inspired mix of mid-'90s-styled post-hardcore and driving punk. Kyle came across as a likable but slightly intimidating frontman with how he held himself together (part charming, part devilish). With the Firebird Band, this was my first chance to see them with their new line-up and a live drummer. As somebody who had only seen them before with iPods, keyboards and guitars, last night was a really charged set with more of the live elements involved. Chris always has a kind of wild intensity with performing but now with a second guitarist/keyboardist, a new bassist and a live drummer in the band, they were ten times better than when I had seen them before. Finally with the City on Film, they finished the show on a grand note. Bob played with a violin player and this made his already intimate songs even more engaging. Playing a lushly quiet rendition of "For Holly," I stood there in amazement as he just knocked every song after that out of the park. Playing covers by Lifter Puller, Tom Waits and Dexy's Midnight Runners along with tracks from his new record and a slowed-down version of Braid's "A Dozen Roses," this was the kind of set that Bob usually plays but there was a special feeling to it (considering the fact that he was running a fever but played so well in spite of it). As he finished up with Dexy's "Come On Eileen," I felt that the whole show had started strong and continued strong through the whole night. This was the kind of show I would've paid good money to see, so getting the chance to see it was massive.

If I was in the mindset of immediacy, the lack of whatever that didn't go as "planned" would be offsetting. However, I felt so happy to be doing things like loading in with Nick, having dinner with Hirudin, watching baseball with Kyle, sitting with Bob and Chris as they wrapped about what was going on in their lives, talking to Sally about photography, talking with Adam about how musical perspective changes with age, seeing Chris's grin as Bob finished up "A Dozen Roses" and other little moments like these will stay with me longer than business logistics.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I totally agree with your assessment of this show, Eric, though I think that's the first--and perhaps the only--time anyone has described us as "tight as hell."

I really loved Bob's slowed down "For Holly," and I think his version of "Come On Eileen" is awesome. It's not the "Hey, remember the '80s?" nostalgic crap bands pull for bad compilations, but a complete recontextualization as a sweet love song. That Bob, he's such a sensitive boy!

And yeah, The Firebird Band were at least 10x better as a full band. I'm looking forward to their new stuff...
Eric said…
I'm pretty upset that I missed the show, but sometimes life just throws us a curveball. Sorry that more people didn't show. I'm actually really surprised at the turnout.
Eric Grubbs said…
Eric-all good dude. You have such an amazing experience heading your way in a few weeks (cross fingers!) that I would do the same thing.

Kyle-The "tight as hell" description fit for that show, now let me see a sloppy set where you sing everything in Spanish :-)

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J