Skip to main content

A Three-Legged Workhorse

Over the weekend, while hearing apologies from a band member in the band I watched (and enjoyed the hell out of), something hit me. Not physically, but mentally. When there's a show, there are actually two shows going on. Meaning, there's the perspective from the audience, and then there's the perspective from the band. Too often, those perspectives don't seem to cross.

I've played many shows where something went wrong. That something might have been a missed musical cue or equipment issues, but rarely have I talked to an audience member that noticed the problem or thought it was a big deal. Yet when you get the band's perspective, those gaffes seemed to make the show one of the worst shows of all eternity.

In the case of what I saw over the weekend, I could tell there were some issues with a guitar, the amp, and the PA. Based on the looks between members and the soundman, things seemed to be frustrating all around. But for me as a fan, that didn't hamper the show. This was a band I wanted to see, and so many things went right for them that night.

In hopes this doesn't sound like a "don't sweat the small stuff" sort of discussion, I counter with how a person defines "small stuff" and "big stuff." If your desire as a band is to play as well as possible and not have equipment issues, then having a show hampered by sound issues is a big deal. But if your desire as a fan is to enjoy a show, hear your favorite songs (and hear new ones as well), and see a band play well together, then that stuff is small potatoes.

All this said, I could just be way too lenient. I remember a few years ago when a local favorite got a chance to play on a late-night TV talk show. As happy as I was to see the band play and get some great national exposure, all I read on the band's message board the following day was how loud the bass sounded. Um, what? You choose to overlook a great band share their charm on national TV and all you have to say about it is a bunch of nitpicking? That's not my style.

Frankly, I laugh at the idea that a band should practice over and over again in hopes of putting on a flawless show. As I've seen with my friends' bands and some of my own experiences, you enter a completely different world the minute you play outside of your practice space. If anything, you'd just better have your songs down and hope for the best. And it's important to remember that mistakes are going to happen, it's just how you choose to learn from those mistakes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J