Skip to main content

Crutch Words

There are times that listening to yourself interview someone is as bad as (if not worse than) listening to yourself talk on an answering machine.

I have yet to meet anyone who is completely fine with his or her's voice. For whatever reason, there's something wrong with it and there's a level of embarrassment in hearing it. What's worse, though, is hearing yourself repeat words over and over again.

These are, in the words of a fellow reporter friend, called crutch words.

Over the weekend, I transcribed an interview I conducted for an upcoming Observer article. While listening to the twenty minutes of me talking to a musician known almost around the world, it's very obvious that I am a) nervous about talking to a musician I greatly admire, b) nervous about asking a stupid question, and c) nervous that this interview will not result in a decent article about a band I've liked for many years.

What do I say waaaaaayyyy too much? "Yeah," "I gotcha," and "I hear ya." Like clockwork, I say one or all of those words while trying to transition onto the next question.

Even after all these years of interviews, I still get nervous talking to musicians that I respect. More often than not, these interviews are my one shot at getting to talk to somebody and I usually don't have a lot of time to talk to them. As a result, I ask what I believe to be good questions that people (including myself) would like to know the answers to.

The worst interview I've ever conducted was with a pivotal figure featured in Post. If you've interviewed the guy, you know who I'm talking about: he'll cut you off at any time, he sounds like a grouch, and he's super intense about pretty much everything. That said, he gave me some of the best quotes in the book, and he was incredibly nice when I met him a few years after I interviewed him for the first time.

Maybe I'm just too cautious about this kind of stuff when it comes to abrupt and timed conversations. I can talk for hours with friends, and that's very easy to see when I interview someone I've known for years.

Later in the day that I interviewed this certain well-known musician, I interviewed two guys I've known for almost six years for another upcoming piece for the Observer. Instead of sitting at my desk at home on the phone, I sat across from them at my favorite bar, asking questions I've always to ask about, and the conversation flowed by incredibly well.

That said, chances are very good that I said "Cool," "I gotcha," "rightrightright," and "Yeah" over and over again. That's what happens when I'm a little too aware of people's availability and desire to talk about one topic.

I'm not so sure crutch words are a bad thing, but they sure can make you feel bad. I'm a human, not a Cylon, right?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air...

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Ben Folds and Ben Folds Five

Originally posted on Tuesday, April 11th, 2006 : For some, Ben Folds Five was merely a one hit wonder. For others, the trio was a life-changer. Myself, I’m one of the latter. Being formally introduced with the “Battle of Who Could Care Less” video on 120 Minutes , I was very intrigued to know more about this piano-bass-drums combo. Once I heard Whatever and Ever Amen , I was hooked. As a matter of fact, out of all of my favorite bands, Ben Folds Five is one of the few that I liked right away and I have held the same kind of admiration ever since. Their three proper albums (and one b-sides collection) are staples in my record collection and they may very well be (or soon be) staples in your collection too. For a band that was once described as “punk rock for sissies,” you may realize how effortlessly these guys walked between fun, semi-goofy pop songs and some really deep and powerful stuff too. It helps that they had it right from the beginning and kept maturing. Ben Folds Five (1995) ...

Politics Shmolitics

Yesterday, the more pleas I saw for people to go out and vote, the more uncomfortable I felt. Plenty of the blogs I hit up everyday said something along the lines of "Vote and if you don't, don't complain." Folks, this is why I find discussing politics so alienating. There are plenty of reasons why I don't discuss politics on here or in my everyday conversations. The biggest reason is because I don't have a lot of interest in politics in the first place. By what I've seen, heard and read for the last eight years, political debates are usually pissing contests. Judging by the views I've processed, it would be easy to think that we're all slowly going downhill either on the left, right or down the middle. Yet I don't think we're going totally downhill or totally uphill. Debating the direction we're going seems futile, especially when adults start screaming at each other like they're in grade school. To my ears, political debates are s...