Skip to main content

Let Me In

Sometimes there are reminders that there is a world outside of those who talk the most openly on the Internet. A recent example comes in the form of the forthcoming film, Let Me In.

If you believe the world is filled with people who leave comments on posts or message boards, then it's pretty safe to say that the Swedish film Let the Right One In is one of the greatest, most amazing, most awesome, frightening, gorgeous, and bad-ass films involving teenagers and vampires. There's no debate: it rules and it will be one of the greatest films for the rest of eternity. That is, until a surge of people bad-mouth it on the Internet and turn the tide.

But seriously, Let the Right One In is also a film that not that many people have seen, outside of the world of people who are really into films. (Mom? Dad? Susan? Matt? Diana's probably heard of it, but I don't think she's seen it.)

After reading an interview with Matt Reeves, the director of Let Me In (which is also based on the same book that Let the Right One In was based on) some things are starting to make sense as to why people would even want to tackle an American version of a film that's already been made in another country. Reeves sounds like he has intentions in the right place, so this will probably not be some generic cover version of a great song.

Sure, there are people who find this a bad, bad, bad idea, but is there any crime in introducing people to something that's not exactly that well known?

There are instances where I'd prefer that something remain as is and shouldn't be redone. Yet there are some things that I think are worth doing. Had I never seen Vanilla Sky, I would have never heard of Abre Los Ojos. Is that so wrong? I don't think so.

Frankly, I think it would be good to compare Let Me In and Let the Right One In because frankly, I wasn't that wowed by Let the Right One In. And I don't think it absolutely, truly matters which subtitles they used on the DVD edition, even I would like to see the film again with the original theatrical subtitles.

Back when I spent a little more time on the Internet (yes, there was a time), it seemed like popular opinion on stuff like Jimmy Eat World's B-sides, Screeching Weasel's best albums, and the merits of Kevin Smith's films was commonplace. More often than not, actually talking to people in person presents a (sometimes) different sort of view. It's a view that's frankly more engaging and understandable.

Again, just a reminder that there's a world out there beyond what people overly praise and overly hate on the Internet.

Comments

pimplomat said…
I'd be interested in seeing this new take on the story. You know me. I'm always wondering why more directors don't take on stories and craft them into their own films.

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air...

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Ben Folds and Ben Folds Five

Originally posted on Tuesday, April 11th, 2006 : For some, Ben Folds Five was merely a one hit wonder. For others, the trio was a life-changer. Myself, I’m one of the latter. Being formally introduced with the “Battle of Who Could Care Less” video on 120 Minutes , I was very intrigued to know more about this piano-bass-drums combo. Once I heard Whatever and Ever Amen , I was hooked. As a matter of fact, out of all of my favorite bands, Ben Folds Five is one of the few that I liked right away and I have held the same kind of admiration ever since. Their three proper albums (and one b-sides collection) are staples in my record collection and they may very well be (or soon be) staples in your collection too. For a band that was once described as “punk rock for sissies,” you may realize how effortlessly these guys walked between fun, semi-goofy pop songs and some really deep and powerful stuff too. It helps that they had it right from the beginning and kept maturing. Ben Folds Five (1995) ...

Politics Shmolitics

Yesterday, the more pleas I saw for people to go out and vote, the more uncomfortable I felt. Plenty of the blogs I hit up everyday said something along the lines of "Vote and if you don't, don't complain." Folks, this is why I find discussing politics so alienating. There are plenty of reasons why I don't discuss politics on here or in my everyday conversations. The biggest reason is because I don't have a lot of interest in politics in the first place. By what I've seen, heard and read for the last eight years, political debates are usually pissing contests. Judging by the views I've processed, it would be easy to think that we're all slowly going downhill either on the left, right or down the middle. Yet I don't think we're going totally downhill or totally uphill. Debating the direction we're going seems futile, especially when adults start screaming at each other like they're in grade school. To my ears, political debates are s...