Skip to main content

Don't blame the Cookie Monster

I've come to accept the fact that random musings about the Cookie Monster are bound to come into my head at any time. Lately, it's been about the whole, "let's make Cookie Monster eat fruit so he doesn't make kids obese" angle they went with a few years ago.

Since I heard about this, I think people should not blame the Cookie Monster. He's innocent of any crime.

I have yet to meet anyone who doesn't like cookies. Cookies are great, and they're not something truly harmful like cigarettes or heroin. (I don't think Heroin Monster or Smoke Monster would fly on Sesame Street anyway.)

There are understandable reasons to think there might be a potential harm in having a character on a kid's show devour cookies at any time of day or night. Then again, this is a monster that's blue and fuzzy with buggly eyes. How can that be a bad influence? He's already crazy, so why do adults think kids are going to take after him?

It's like how Garfield eats lasagna. Garfield likes to take everything easy, except when it comes to eating. Should Garfield eat vegetarian lasagna now ? I say no since it's his attitude about life that's reflected onto what he eats. The same goes for the friendly blue monster.

Keep in mind, this rant is based solely on my time of watching Sesame Street since the eighties. I don't have any scientific research backing any of this up. These are just observations. Now to have a cookie with my dinner.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J