Skip to main content

Until that darkness was gone

Sometimes you have revelations about matters that have been in your orbit for a long time. And these revelations make you reassess why something has not been closer to you before. These days, it's the Bouncing Souls for me.

I wonder why I have not loved this band more. I mean, I've seen them play twice (and I enjoyed both times), own a number of their records, and would see them again if I had the chance. Yet something eluded me about them until I watched Do You Remember?, a documentary on the band, last week.

I remember when my friend Sarah interviewed Greg Attonito, talking about Do You Remember? as it was in the pre-production stage. There was about fifteen years of footage available to use and a lot of hope as to when this documentary could come out. The documentary eventually came out and I passed on taking a look. I don't remember why I chose to do that, but that's what I chose.

Recently finding a used copy and watching it a few days later, I had to ask myself why this band isn't one of my favorite pop-punk bands of all time. Maybe not in the case of entire albums by the band, but certain songs have stuck with me long after my initial love of pop-punk started to wane. "Kate is Great" is one of them. The song's lyrics seemed to sum up my life through college and after college, even though it was written from the perspective of a guy passing on college and living in a group house with his bandmates.

I think the key reason why is, while I think the band is incredibly sincere in what they do, the level of humor has been a little too high for my taste. Blame the number of silly songs on the self-titled record, but aside from songs like "Kate Is Great," "Say Anything," "Kid," and their version of the Kinks' "Better Things," the band has been a fun band instead of a meaningful band.

This perspective changed drastically as I watched the band perform "Gone." For the first time, I paid attention to the lyrics and really took note of the chorus's melody. Even though it could remade into something you'd hear in a church (yes, you heard me correctly), I find the song very fitting these days. Look past how simple it is to play on guitar, the song's a simple tale of overcoming. And I buy into this mindset completely. Maybe that's why I've listened to the song at least twice every day since last week.

Once again, here's to rediscovering a band from your past and realizing there's so much more to digest and enjoy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J