Skip to main content

News of the TPE World 10.14.2004

Album listened to this morning:
My Morning Jacket It Still Moves

Breezy and windy with a temperature of 52 degrees. Double-light jacket wearing weather for me.

Kevin Smith is talking about a possible Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back follow-up to MTV.com:

"He's hard at work on a Clerks sequel, and now Kevin Smith is thinking about a Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back follow-up. 'So many people ask about it — I'm just like, 'Where were all you mother----ers when they were in their own movie in theaters? I could have used your help!' Smith said. 'That makes me think every once in a while, and Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back did really well on DVD. I'm like, 'Wow, if we made a Jay and Bob movie now, we might clean up.' But I don't know, that's not a reason to make a movie.' A sequel would be a few years off, regardless, as Smith is committed to The Green Hornet after The Passion of the Clerks."

I support whatever Kevin does, but talking about a follow-up to Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back will probably end up in his ever-growing "Talked About in the Public But Never Got it Off the Ground or Completed It" file (including the Mallrats 2: Die Hard in a Mall comic, Clerks cartoon movie, Clerks 2: Hardly Clerkin' and reviving the the Brave and the Bold series, among other things). Good to know he's keeping busy though.

"Wandering" by Ben Folds was featured Kevin's most recent flick, Jersey Girl and it is featured on Ben's Speed Graphic EP. Speed Graphic was the first in a trio of solo EPs for Ben and while I also have the second EP, Sunny 16, I still haven't picked up the third one, Super D. Excuses, I know, but I'll pick it up soon.

While Ben Folds is helping out William Shatner right now and will eventually finish his new own solo record this year, his ex-Ben Folds Five mates, Darren Jessee and Robert Sledge, are in other bands. Darren is in Hotel Lights and Robert is in International Orange

My Morning Jacket has an EP of live tracks called Acoustic Citsuoca. It was recorded last Halloween at the Startime Pavilion. Should be worth picking up, but I must confess that other than It Still Moves, I tend to neglect their other releases like The Tennessee Fire and At Dawn. I've totally neglected (but I don't know why) their My Morning Jacket Does Xmas Fiasco Style EP. I gave my brother-in-law a copy of It Still Moves for Christmas and I think he dug it.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J