Skip to main content

News of the TPE World October 23rd, 2004

Song in my head:
"We Might As Well Be Strangers" by Keane

The throat is on the mend and the fever has left, but I'm still taking today off from work. I don't think talking for seven hours straight will help it fully heal. So, the silent treatment continues for another day.

Adding to what I said yesterday, "I'd rather be working than being sick and at home." I really enjoy working at where I work. While I like to be at home too, I can't be at either all the time. I just felt yesterday's post was a little too vague and sounded a tad on a "I hate work" side.

While I've been laying low around the house, I did venture out last night and picked up the new Law of Inertia issue with interviews with Ian MacKaye, the Dillinger Escape Plan and Sparta. Good stuff and more info for research.

Grant Hart and Bob Mould played together recently. Read all about it here.

Today is Ryan Reynolds' birthday. While he may be best known for Two Guys and a Girl, Van Wilder, and the upcoming Blade: Trinity and the Amityville Horror remake, he got his first major start on a Nickelodeon teen soap opera called Fifteen. I remember watching this when it was on the air and thought he was cool because he was the drummer for Teenagers in Love.

Since the weather here has been rainy and overcast, I think I'll be spending most of today writing and doing some research between naps and playing THUG2.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air...

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Ben Folds and Ben Folds Five

Originally posted on Tuesday, April 11th, 2006 : For some, Ben Folds Five was merely a one hit wonder. For others, the trio was a life-changer. Myself, I’m one of the latter. Being formally introduced with the “Battle of Who Could Care Less” video on 120 Minutes , I was very intrigued to know more about this piano-bass-drums combo. Once I heard Whatever and Ever Amen , I was hooked. As a matter of fact, out of all of my favorite bands, Ben Folds Five is one of the few that I liked right away and I have held the same kind of admiration ever since. Their three proper albums (and one b-sides collection) are staples in my record collection and they may very well be (or soon be) staples in your collection too. For a band that was once described as “punk rock for sissies,” you may realize how effortlessly these guys walked between fun, semi-goofy pop songs and some really deep and powerful stuff too. It helps that they had it right from the beginning and kept maturing. Ben Folds Five (1995) ...

Politics Shmolitics

Yesterday, the more pleas I saw for people to go out and vote, the more uncomfortable I felt. Plenty of the blogs I hit up everyday said something along the lines of "Vote and if you don't, don't complain." Folks, this is why I find discussing politics so alienating. There are plenty of reasons why I don't discuss politics on here or in my everyday conversations. The biggest reason is because I don't have a lot of interest in politics in the first place. By what I've seen, heard and read for the last eight years, political debates are usually pissing contests. Judging by the views I've processed, it would be easy to think that we're all slowly going downhill either on the left, right or down the middle. Yet I don't think we're going totally downhill or totally uphill. Debating the direction we're going seems futile, especially when adults start screaming at each other like they're in grade school. To my ears, political debates are s...