Skip to main content

News of the TPE World October 20th, 2004

Album listened to this morning:
Jimmy Eat World Futures

Pitchfork had mentioned this recently, but MTV.com checks in with an article on . . And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead's next record.

Punknews.org has some good news about the Screeching Weasel back catalog:

Starting in February of `05, Asian Man Records will be re-releasing the out of print Screeching Weasel catalog. They'll be putting out BoogadaBoogadaBoogada, followed by My Brain Hurts, Wiggle, Anthem For A New Tomorrow, How To Make Enemies and Irritate People and finally Kill The Musicians. Word is that Asian Man will also re-release The Riverdales self-titled debut and Phase Three full lenth. All the releases will be re-mastered with new artwork new liner notes by the band members, and other extras to be announced.

Rolling Stone.com has an article about a documentary on the late-great Jeff Buckley that recently premiered in New York. By the way, Buckley's Grace recently got reissued with a remastered version of the album, a bonus disc with b-sides and unreleased songs and a DVD featuring videos and interviews. More info and tracklisting is here.

Sweet Adeline has this nice picture up on their page celebrating the release of From a Basement on the Hill.

I watched Gods and Monsters last night. Good flick: a nice character study of James Whale without being black and white about conflict. Plus, it was interesting to see "Jenkins" from the Taco Bueno commercials in a movie.

Still trying to look for my VHS copy of It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown. Should be in some box around the house. I just hope that I don't leave it in the VCR when I tape Sparta's performance on Letterman tonight.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air...

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Ben Folds and Ben Folds Five

Originally posted on Tuesday, April 11th, 2006 : For some, Ben Folds Five was merely a one hit wonder. For others, the trio was a life-changer. Myself, I’m one of the latter. Being formally introduced with the “Battle of Who Could Care Less” video on 120 Minutes , I was very intrigued to know more about this piano-bass-drums combo. Once I heard Whatever and Ever Amen , I was hooked. As a matter of fact, out of all of my favorite bands, Ben Folds Five is one of the few that I liked right away and I have held the same kind of admiration ever since. Their three proper albums (and one b-sides collection) are staples in my record collection and they may very well be (or soon be) staples in your collection too. For a band that was once described as “punk rock for sissies,” you may realize how effortlessly these guys walked between fun, semi-goofy pop songs and some really deep and powerful stuff too. It helps that they had it right from the beginning and kept maturing. Ben Folds Five (1995) ...

Politics Shmolitics

Yesterday, the more pleas I saw for people to go out and vote, the more uncomfortable I felt. Plenty of the blogs I hit up everyday said something along the lines of "Vote and if you don't, don't complain." Folks, this is why I find discussing politics so alienating. There are plenty of reasons why I don't discuss politics on here or in my everyday conversations. The biggest reason is because I don't have a lot of interest in politics in the first place. By what I've seen, heard and read for the last eight years, political debates are usually pissing contests. Judging by the views I've processed, it would be easy to think that we're all slowly going downhill either on the left, right or down the middle. Yet I don't think we're going totally downhill or totally uphill. Debating the direction we're going seems futile, especially when adults start screaming at each other like they're in grade school. To my ears, political debates are s...