Skip to main content

News of the TPE World for October 13th, 2004

Album listened to this morning:
The Dismemberment Plan Change

Even though the first day of autumn was a couple of weeks ago, yesterday was the first day it was actually chilly. I believe the overnight low was in the upper 50s. Knowing the weather here, I'd except it to heat up to 90 in just a day but it only got to 78 yesterday. This morning was 62 degrees with some wind chill. I dig the light jacket weather.

NME is reporting that a new iPod is on the way. Now with a color screen and 50 percent more storage than before. While my experience with an iPod has been limited, I think it's a whole lot more inviting to use after worrying about my portable CD player skipping on family car trips.

Rhino Records released Left of the Dial yesterday. I'll definitely be picking this up soon. It's like Our Band Could Be Your Life was made into a box set. I'm sure a box set with 1990s alternative rock is being prepared. Then I'll feel really old.

On a related note, I found this on the Paul Westerberg page from Harp Magazine

"Next fall, Rykodisc-which now owns the Twin Tone catalog- will finally reissue the Replacements' first four album albums in expanded form, remastered with bonus tracks and loads of unreleased songs. Rhino Records plans to do the same for the group's Warner Bros titles. A proposed 'Mats box would combine material from both periods, but will likely wait until 2006. Meanwhile, Shout! Factory records is currently compiling a solo Westerberg "best of" for a spring '05 release."

I guess I'll be holding off on buying a used copy of 14 Songs so I could get a digitally remastered version of "World Class Fad."

Halloween is on a Sunday this year. So I'm curious if kids will be trick-or-treating Saturday or Sunday. Either way, I'll watch Student Bodies before the end of this month. Also, I think I'll watch Halloween in widescreen for the first time this year.

Enjoy this apartment hunting guide from the Onion

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J