Skip to main content

You're either there or you're not

As much as I love caller ID and voicemail, I think they have complicated my ways of communicating by phone. There seems to be a secondary form of communication to a primary form of communication.

Back when all calls were on landlines and there was no caller ID, the answering machine was the only way to leave a message when nobody was able to pick up the phone. Now with all the stuff we have with call waiting, caller ID, and voicemail, getting a returned phonecall seems like a complicated issue.

I know that we all have busy lives and cell phones are a wonder for us. That said, there are times where I'm incredibly frustrated with the nature of leaving a message. To leave a message or not, that is the question.

In college, a rule of thumb a friend of mine had was, if they don't leave a message, it's not about something that's important. I begged to differ as some people want answers or information that can't wait. For example, what if you were having a medical emergency or a major crisis and needed to alert a family member immediately? What would be the use of leaving a message if the voice message didn't get played back until later? Besides, you can't gauge when the person will hear your message or even return your call.

Now with caller ID, I get returned phonecalls even when I don't leave a message. That's a nice thing for me, especially if just want to chat with somebody. If I call somebody, I want to talk to that person. I don't call people in hopes I don't reach them.

So this leads me to a conundrum: there are certain people that I call and leave a message if I don't get them. Sometimes (but not all the time), I don't get a returned phonecall in a timely fashion (or at all). Is there some sort of grace period between my initial call and trying to call the person again? I think so, but how's about this situation:

1) I call a friend and he or she doesn't pick up.
2) I leave a message for him or her, and patiently wait for a call back.
3) The person calls me back, but at an inconvenient time for me.
4) I say I will call the person back later that day.
5) However, when I call that person back, I miss the person again.
6) I leave another message, essentially calling back to a call back I instigated.
7) So what am I to think when that person doesn't call me back after leaving this second message?

Yes, that's a very complicated, multi-step deal, but is there some sort of expiration date on getting a returned phonecall? I guess so. That's why I choose to take the attitude of, either you're there or you're not. If you're not, I'll try back later. Cell phone voicemail isn't the most reliable thing, and not everybody remembers to call everyone back (I'm guilty of this as well).

Keep in mind, all of the phonecalls I'm referring to are to friends and/or family. Sometimes the gist of why I'm calling is very important, but sometimes it's just to talk. Am I just an impatient fellow about this issue? Whatever happened to, "I call you, you call me back, and vice versa"?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J