Skip to main content

Creep

Reading this week's edition of "AVQ&A" reminded me of something that terrified me when I was younger that doesn't terrify me now. I had not thought about this for years, and it wasn't the opening scenes of V, Murder, She Wrote, or various parts of E.T. It was the trailer for The Silence of the Lambs.

Yes, the trailer: OK to be shown in the daytime or nighttime on almost any kind of programming. Being in sixth grade at the time of its release, I caught some of the trailer one night and couldn't get the face of Hannibal Lecter out of my head. What truly creeped me out about it were the shots of Lecter in the cage, warmly lit with a white T-shirt on. So, I can thank a director of photography, a wardrobe person, and Anthony Hopkins for this.

Hopkins looked so sinister and menacing -- and he's just sitting in a chair. The trailer itself isn't very violent, and doesn't really give much away about the movie. I definitely didn't beg my parents to go see the movie. At that point in my life, I was more interested in Back to the Future Part II and the first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie. My father saw it and was creeped out by it, and I didn't see the movie until college. (I'm so glad I saw it in widescreen instead of pan-and-scan.)

I don't mean to say all this and pretend like I don't get creeped out now. Watching Silence of the Lambs many times over the years, I find it to be a really, really good thriller with phenomenal acting from top to bottom. I don't get creeped out by it, but I still get creeped out by various other things. And it's not gore or jumps.

In the last couple of years, certain scenes, mainly from horror movies, have disturbed me. I don't watch horror movies because I enjoy watching people get hacked to pieces. No, I watch them to face my own fears, and knowing that I'm watching a movie with actors, special effects, and make-up. But anyway, the shot in the original Hills Have Eyes where the baby is crying uncontrollably after her mother and grandmother have been shot, and the shot in the first Saw where Michael Emerson's character stands over a girl sleeping just give me chills when I think about them. Top that off with scenes from Paradise Lost 2 and Jonestown: the Life and Death of the People's Temple and you're in the know with what creeps me out. Those kinds of things just don't go away, you know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J