Skip to main content

Two more pieces of (writing) advice

Time for some more advice on writing a book. These two ideas come from talking with a couple of people who have just begun writing their own books, and I hope you can find inspiration as well.

Imagine your ideal reader
This is crucial because it affects the overall tone of your book. Are you writing a book for people who know everything about the topic or know nothing at all about the topic? Know your limits, and don't be afraid to explain yourself. You have plenty of space to explain.

For Post, I wrote it in a way that people my age would understand, but not strictly for people my age. Whether you put on a show for Hot Water Music at a rehearsal space, bought Braid's first few 7"s by mailorder, saw At the Drive-In in a small VFW hall, or saw the Promise Ring's "Why Did We Ever Meet?" video once on 120 Minutes, this book was written with those kinds of people in mind.

I did not want to come across as one of those elitist, "since you weren't there you'll never understand" types. Rather, this was my attempt to explain how and why people like me still think highly of bands like Fugazi, the Promise Ring, and the Get Up Kids and are probably disgusted by mall emo bands. So, taking some inspiration from a couple of documentaries that save bitter ranting and raving until the last few minutes (Hype! and American Hardcore), I tried to make Post a positive retrospective.

Write your book, then think about how you're going to put it out
If you feel strongly compelled to write a book, don't let the worry of who will release it stop you. Even though my original hope of putting out my book on a friend's label fell through, I still wanted to put out Post in some form or fashion. When a few interested editors wanted me to completely jettison the heart and soul of the book just so I could have a book out with a name publishing house, I decided to self-publish.

My point is, expressing yourself and marketing yourself are two different things. In the planning stage they seem like they're one in the same. I disagree. Say what you want to say, then look into release options. And just because you get turned down by agents or editors doesn't mean your book is crap. That's your call.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J