Skip to main content

Here I am, comfortable

Songs in my head:
"And the Rest Will Follow" by . . . and you will know us by the trail of dead
"Caterwaul" by . . . and you will know us by the trail of dead
"Will You Smile Again" by . . . and you will know us by the trail of dead

Yesterday was a very good day for music that I like. I picked up Worlds Apart, I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning and Digital Ash in a Digital Urn yesterday. Sounds impossible, but I feel Worlds Apart is many notches above what TOD has done before. The overall sound is clear and powerful. This time out, they don't sound like they're playing at the back of a hall. They've moved on from just build-ups to explosions to softer parts. Melodies that tug at you are all over the place. As for I'm Wide Awake, I really enjoy it upon first listen. It's not as bombastic as Lifted, but it just works. Digital Ash is a different-sounding record than what I usually listen to, but I like it. I think of it like Kid A: much more electronic-based but not with moronic, cold beats on repeat.

For what it's worth, there's a quick article on Trail of Dead on MTV.com.

Pick up any major magazine or newspaper and you will read an article or review for Bright Eyes. Punknews.org has a very good review of the two new records. I echo Colin's opening lines: "I love punk rock. I love the do-it-yourself ethic, the anti-establishment mentality, the self-sustaining independence. What I don't like is the mentality that if you listen to punk, you must confine yourself to the bands that use three chords or less. So while the fashion punks in their denim, leather, and mohawks spit at an act such as Conor Oberst's Bright Eyes, it's their loss."

Punknews.org has info about the forthcoming DVD release of the Ramones' End of the Century documentary.

It's a little super-picky in spots, but DVD File has a very cool review of the forthcoming Donnie Darko: the Director's Cut DVD.

Jo Rowling's new baby is no longer unnamed. No, it's not Cho, Petunia or Hermione. It's Mackenzie, according to Reuters.

The first volume of the Burn to Shine DVD series was released yesterday. Dischord has this blurb on their news page: "Available this month on Trixie Records is the first installment of the "Burn to Shine" film series, produced by Brendan Canty and directed by filmmaker Christoph Green. The DVD features live performances by The Evens, Q and Not U, Ted Leo, Medications, French Toast, Bob Mould, Weird War and Garland of Hours, all filmed in a house in Bethesda MD prior to it's demolition. The DVD is available from January 25th the states and Europe and from the Dischord webstore around the same date. A second installment is to follow soon, featuring Chicago area bands such as Shellac, Tortoise and Wilco. More information is available at http://www.trixiedvd.com/ "

I find this book very interesting because it is tongue-in-cheek. I wonder where they would file it in a bookstore. Arts? Sociological satire? I think this is worth investigating . . .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J