Skip to main content

See me age nineteen . . .

Songs in my head:
"Even If You Don't" by Ween
"Either Coast" by the Reputation
"We've Been Had" by the Walkmen

Kickball kicked my butt yesterday. My ankles are sore. Just pointing my feet up (as in, while walking) is not fun at the moment. But this is all the good pain: I had a lot of fun. I actually caught a pop fly, but my sunglasses broke upon impact. No big deal: I found a replacement (the exact same size, brand and color) at Target last night.

Speaking of Target, they have a new TV commercial using the Concretes' "Say Something New." Pretty cool song and commercial if you ask me.

Pop Matters has this very cool article about indie bands' songs used on TV commercials, TV shows (especially the OC) and movies. For all the cynics about this form of marketing, just remember that this band was once featured on this show. By the way, that band's next record is called At War With the Mystics, according to NME.

NME reports that Ikara Colt has split up. I don't know if Epitaph will release the band's second album in the USA.

When I read articles like this, I get inspired to write about the British hype machine. At least for right now, it's brought up in the At the Drive-In chapter. Sure, they get very excited about bands but once a band loses some of its surge, they move on to other bands. I know, I know, we see this in the American press too. However, from an American point of view, the press across the pond seems to go absolutely nuts about a new band every few weeks.

I think I'll pass on watching this show this season. Sure, you want to cheer on the underdog, but what is the real prize of the show? I'm thinking of David Brent's character trying to cash in on his "fame" in the Office Christmas special. I don't know if I'm becoming too cynical, but researching for this book has made me see through a lot of marketing and hype we read and see every day.

Just as I'm thinking I'm too cynical about this stuff, I see the going rate for this record. Not even a Stevie Nicks duet could save this one.

Comments

I read or heard an interview somewhere sometime with Ricky Gervais and evidently he is consulting on the new American version of The Office. He indicated that they're doing a really great job. It still sounds kind of fishy to me. Also, I had to watch all of The Office with subtitles on. Speaking of amazing shows that require subtitles, have you seen The Kingdom?
Eric Grubbs said…
". . . he is consulting on the new American version of The Office. He indicated that they're doing a really great job. It still sounds kind of fishy to me."

He may be referring to them doing a good job of paying him.

"Also, I had to watch all of The Office with subtitles on."

Me too. Too many funny little lines are said under the breath.

Have not seen the Kingdom . . . yet.

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J